Friday, April 9, 2010

Choosing a Business Objective

Per my last post, I was at a juncture of deciding what should be the focus of my business objective - recylcing, B2B customers or end consumer. After much deliberation on the 3 options, I chose to go with marketing glass to the end consumer. This falls in line with the popular marketing notion that even if a business is B2B (like O-I), it should always keep the end customer in mind, even if it is in conjunct thinking with its B2B customer. Marketing directly to the end customer has the domino effect of shifting the desired actions upstream i.e. end customers when convinced of your marketing message will push your B2B customers for your product thereby precipitating the realization of your marketing goals. In turn, this also increases the chances of achieving the desired reclycing behaviors and the associated social impacts.

If I was to sum up the process of my thinking:

Market to end consumer > consumer wants to buy more glass > O-I's B2B customers (Pepsi, Coca-Cola, etc.) increase their demand to O-I > O-I's sales increase > glass has greated share in the container market > more glass is available to be recylced > more glass being produced and recycled glass reduces emissions (glass has lower carbon footprint) > positive environmental impact

Will be following up with greater detail this weekend on the step-by-step BP analysis... lot of catching up to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment