Saturday, April 10, 2010

Would you choose glass?

Point in case:
Sitting next to Megan in our class, I saw her drinking water out of a plastic bottle - nothing out of the ordinary - we all do it. Thought triggered in my mind to ask her about her preference for glass. The conversation unfolded somewhat like this:

A - Megan, would you ever want to drink water out of a glass bottle?
M - (snap came the answer) No!
A - Why not?
M - Who wants to carry a glass bottle around all day long, it's heavy, and could break.
A - What if I told you that glass is the most earth-friendly, completely recylcable material and preserves taste the best.
M -(shrugs) Could be, but that doesn't matter to me. It's not convenient.
A - (thinking what to say next for a while) So you don't care about the environment Megan.
M - I do but not sure how much it really matters a few bottles in glass vs. plastic. That's not enough to make me switch.
A - So, what would make you switch? If they are cheaper?
M - Maybe, yes then (still not completely convinced)

Kate - (sensing I may need some help jumps in and whispers to me) - You need to make glass bottles exciting
A - (puzzled look)
K - Like maybe if they will glow in the dark or something!

We all got a hearty laugh in the end but this short dialogue did sum up the challenge of marketing glass in a capsule.

So, would you choose glass? What's your story....

No comments:

Post a Comment